Foodie

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Gingery Chilli Sauce

How can anyone eat Hainanese Chicken Rice without the Gingery Chilli Sauce?!! You are missing one of the essences of eating Chicken Rice.  The most important part of a successful and delicious chicken rice meal, is not on the chicken or the rice, but the chili sauce. The chili sauce has a fresh taste of ginger, chili, garlic and calamansi juice  which gives a flavorful “kick”to the meal.  I am very particular about the ingredients used - ginger : it has to be young ginger, ginger which are like my age will not do.  Chillies have to be fresh red and a few fresh  red Chilly padi.  Calamansi juice is a must but sometimes, like the hokkien saying goes - Boh hu hae pun ho - if fish is not available, shrimp will do, then lime juice will be ok.  The proportion of ingredients do not have to be specific - if you like it more gingery, use more ginger and likewise.





Ingredients:

Fresh red chillies
Fresh red chilly padi
Young ginger
Garlic
Calamansi juice/lime juice
Salt and sugar to taste

Method:

Seed the fresh red chillies.

Remove the skin off the young ginger and garlic.

Put all the ingredients except the calamansi/lime juice, in the food processor and process until it becomes a paste.

Remove into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.

Add in salt and sugar and let it cool, then add in calamansi/lime juice.

Pour into a sterilized jar/bottle and keep in the fridge.

Before serving, a little rendered chicken fat and sesame oil can be added.

Serves

23 comments:

MaryMoh said...

I am so amused how you described the ginger to be used, 'ginger which are like my age will not do'....LOL. Ginger of my age won't do too...haha. Anyway, love this chili sauce. Now I'm craving for chicken rice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lily. I was thinking of making Hainanese Chicken Rice tomorrow in the early morning today. This recipe comes just at the right time :)
I used to put only ginger, garlic, corrainder and blend them together. Then I will pour in light soy sauce and hot oil. Will have a go with your sauce tomorrow.
Yeou-Lee

Quinn said...

Haham I like your Hokkien saying, my parents always say that, hehe!

Ice said...

Lily, does it matter if we don't microwave it for 1 minute? How long can it be kept?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

Thanks for the tip re the ginger! You always make a dish which seem so difficult to us look so easy to prepare .

I like your Hokkien saying ¨ Boh Hu Hae Pun Ho ¨ I guess when we are in an ¨ang moh ¨ country we often have to improvise and substitute what is not readily or easily available!! I wonder whether substituting the calamansi juice with lemon juice will alter the taste of this Chilli sauce or not? And will I be taking the Boh Hu Hae Pun Ho
too much for granted.

Regards,
Judy Lim

Joy said...

This is a staple at my mom's house. I never got a chance to make some. I can't wait to try.

Unknown said...

ai shiang

you don't have to microwave it, i did it so that by doing so, the sauce will keep longer without some moisture.

Unknown said...

judy lim

It was fine with lime juice but with calamansi juice, the sauce is totally nostalgic

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this is also good with roast pork, ho chak !

victor | UPrinting said...

I agree, this sauce will definitely give your Haianese chicken rice a good flavor kick and of course you are right about picking only the ripe ingredients. Ginger who have aged enough have the tendency to loss its flavor and the texture of this spice also change as it age.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lily, this looks quite easy to do and I'm sure it will add flavor to any dish that it is used with.

Tuty @Scentofspice said...

Lily,
This Gingery Chilli Sauce will be in my sambal collections too. Can you give me a rough ratio of chillies, ginger, and garlic? I'd appreciate it.

Chris said...

I make this every fall when the red peppers are available. Sometimes instead of chili padi I use Jamaican peppers which are just as lethal. I don't microwave but freeze them instead. Keeps well in the fridge when defrosted. My daughter loves it..has it with fish balls, roast beef...

Anonymous said...

This is a must for Hainanese Chicken Rice. My version, i stir fry the ginger and garlic to bring out the taste and smell of ginger and garlic, instead of microwave. Thanks for the post...

Sincerely,
Malaysian

lumpkins said...

I totally agree about the sauce being the deal maker in a good chicken rice...but my husband says that it's the chicken that's important...haha...anyway it's great to find a new way of making chilli sauce..always wanted to get a new variation from my family's recipe...thanks

tazyspin said...

Hi Lily,

I am not familiar where I should be posting my qs and so I chose under the sauce category.

Do you happen to have the recipe for Kaya making?

Cheers!
Jackie

Unknown said...

jackie

i hope this is what you are looking for http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2005/05/kaya-rich-egg-custard.html

chinchyechia said...

With a dash of chicken oil skimmed from stock additionally....?

chinchyechia said...

Sorry... re my earlier... you did say
rendered chicken fat can be added....
personally think adding sesame oil will
conflict with flavour.

Unknown said...

chinchyechia

both chicken fat and sesame oil or either one or if both not available, just omit, the chilli sauce will be still great.

Anonymous said...

Hi....was there a reply given to Lily's question posted on 31 Mar 2010 re ratio of chillies to ginger etc.

would apprec if you could indicate how many chillies etc did you use to get your chilli sauce.

Unknown said...

anonymous

Since this is a chilly sauce, therefore more chillies are called for, the ginger and garlic are added for flavor. How much ginger or garlic or lime juice depends on your taste. Adjust accordingly.

Unknown said...

anonymous

Since this is a chilly sauce, therefore more chillies are called for, the ginger and garlic are added for flavor. How much ginger or garlic or lime juice depends on your taste. Adjust accordingly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...